Tara has a vibrant rural lifestyle and is well known as a cattle and sheep grazing area. This quaint town has a warm, friendly atmosphere and the locals are always willing to stop and have a chat. Visitors to Tara will be amazed by the impressive collection of rare native parrots. The Town has essential services and there are hotel and motel accommodation plus schools.
If you are in town during a national sheepdog trial, shearing competition, rodeo, country show or race meeting, don’t miss the chance to enjoy this great country entertainment.
Relax with the more traditional recreational activities such as fishing, golf and bowls. Or perhaps you will discover Tara’s unique talent, internationally acclaimed resident artist Barbara Geisel and her collection of world famous wool paintings.
Native flora and fauna displays are abundant throughout the Shire, and among these you can spot some rare species. The eastern third of the Shire also supports Queensland’s best examples of ironbark, spotted gum and cypress pine trees.
Tara Shire is well known for having one of the largest rural subdivisions in the state, with 13 to 40 hectare properties. This has attracted new residents who have introduced many interesting skills and trades. Today, some of the unusual produce in the Shire’s diverse primary production includes ostriches, emus, red claw crayfish and mohair goats.
Tara Historical Society Museum has a vast display of bottles, sheep drenching guns, furniture from the original Court House, relics from the first township of Southwood and photographs dating back to the late 1800s.
Activites and Experiences at Tara
- Golfing Tara has an 18 hole sand green course. The course is very pretty, crossing a creek six times and set in brigalow scrub country with irrigated fairways. Facilities include a bar, snack bar and conference room/catering. The golf club is located on Kogan Road.
- Swimming Tara public swimming pool
- Accommodation Choose from three accommodation options in Tara: Tara Hotel Motel, the Commercial Hotel or the Tara Caravan Park.
- Airport Tara Shire is not serviced by air charter companies on a regular basis, and it is not on any air company’s regular flight paths. However, Tara’s bitumen all weather air strip is able to cater to air transport services. Co-ordinates for Tara Airport: 170 by 350, 1440m length, wind rating 33.
- Ambulance Tara Ambulance on Day Street.
- Banking Facilities A National Australia Bank is located at 37 Day Street in Tara. You’ll also find a Commonwealth Agent at the Tara Post Office on Fry Street.
- Chemist Tara’s Chemist is located at 29 Day Street.
- Licensed Club Tara Bowls Club is located on Fry Street, while the Wieambilla South Country Club is at 21 Billabong Road.
- Convention Centre Tara Civic Centre on Fry Street is a suitable venue for conferences.
- Dentist A dentist visits monthly to Tara Primary Health Centre.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale EFTPOS facilities are available at the BP, Western Downs, Tara Cafe, Modern Trend, Discount Shopping, Tara Hotel Motel and the Commercial Hotel.
- Fuel Fill up your fuel tank at any of these three locations in Tara: Tara BP, Tara Cafe or Tara Independent Tyre Service.
- Golf Tara has an 18 hole sand green course. The course is very pretty, crossing a creek six times and set in brigalow scrub country with irrigated fairways. Facilities include a bar, snack bar and conference room/catering. The golf club is located on Kogan Road.
- Hospital Tara Hospital is located on Bilton Street.
- Public Bar Tara Hotel Motel and Commercial Hotel.
- Mechanical Services Davo’s Midwest Auto’s – RACQ.
- Medical Facilities Tara Medical Centre on Day Street and the Tara Family Medical Centre on Sara Street.
- Newsagent Tara Newsagency at 27 Day Street.
- Public Telephone You’ll find a public telephone outside the Tara Post Office and Tara State School.
- Sporting Facilities Sporting facilities include a 50 metre swimming pool, a bowls club with 2 greens, 5 tennis courts, squash courts, a skatebowl facility, an 18 hole golf course, cricket grounds, polocrosse, football and the Showgrounds facilities for rodeos, campdrafts, the pony club and horse racing.
- Takeaway Food Pick up a fast meal at the Tara Cafe, the Tara Hotel Motel or the Commercial Hotel.
- Tennis Court You’ll find five tennis courts in Sara Street.
- Places of Worship Anglican, Catholic, Uniting and Presbyterian Churches.
- Pub Stay Commercial Hotel at 35 Day Street in Tara. You’ll find Hugh Sawry’s paintings displayed at the hotel.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Tara Unlicensed Airport