The Rocks, NSW
Sydney‘s heritage setting for a contemporary City
The historic site of Sydney’s first European settlement, The Rocks boasts one of the best positions on the harbour. Successfully combining a colourful history with a warm ambience and Australian character, The Rocks contains many beautifully restored buildings from Sydney’s early days as a colonial town.
Much of The Rocks comprises of a maze of original, cobblestone lanes that lead to over 170 shops, cafes and restaurants. Explore shops carrying everything from Australian design in fashion, art, craft and jewellery to international labels and unique collectables and souvenirs. You can pick up presents from the lively weekend Rocks Markets.
The Rocks is the ideal place to go for a superb dining experience as it has a number of restaurants run by some of Sydney’s best chefs. Try bel mondo, Doyles, The Waterfront, Quay, Rockpool, Sailor’s Thai or any of the restaurants in the newly refurbished Overseas Passenger Terminal. If you’re more in the mood for a snack or light meal eat at one of the numerous casual cafés, restaurants or historic pubs, many of which have pretty garden courtyards.
To make the most of your visit go to the Sydney Visitor Information Centre at 106 George Street to pick up information on what to do and see in The Rocks.
The Rocks Highlights….
- Go on a Rocks Walking Tour to discover the convict origins of the area then walk at your own pace along the foreshore from Circular Quay to below the Harbour Bridge.
- Join BridgeClimb for the ‘climb of your life’ across the span of the Sydney Harbour Bridge or visit the bridge’s Pylon Lookout.
- Discover shops and galleries in converted workman’s cottages and sandstone terrace houses in Playfair Street.
- Try a draught beer at one of the historic pubs – The Lord Nelson, The Hero of Waterloo or the Australian (for the naturally brewed Scharer’s Lager with no preservatives) Or perhaps take a Rocks Pub Tour.
- Take in the harbour views from Observatory Hill or view the Southern skies at night.
- Hear macabre tales of murder, hangings and hauntings on The Rocks Ghost Tour.
Nearest Airport: Sydney
The Rocks Map
- Food and Wine
- City Sightseeing
- World Heritage