Airlie Beach, QLD
Airlie Beach is the gateway to the Whitsundays – just south of Bowen, and on the coast of Proserpine. It is a colourful, cosmopolitan and inviting holiday town lying on the shores of a palm fringed beach and overlooking the calm waters of Pioneer Bay dotted with yachts.
You can’t avoid the holiday feeling that scene evokes, nor the relaxed tropical ambience as you wander around the village streets and down to the vast lagoon. Set in landscaped parkland overlooking the bay, Airlie Beach Lagoon (pictured above) provides stinger free swimming with lifeguard attendants and a children’s pool.
Airlie is part of a picturesque peninsula that reaches out to the Whitsunday Passage and provides the ideal mainland base for holiday fun and adventure in the Whitsundays.
As you drive into Airlie Beach through the neighbouring community of Cannonvale the road climbs above Abel Point Marina, providing expansive views of the indented coastline, the aquamarine sea and the shapes of distant islands on the horizon.
Airlie Beach offers visitors a broad array of accommodation from stylish resort hotels on the water’s edge and apartments on the hillside overlooking the panorama of beach, bay and islands, to bed and breakfast options, motels, camping and caravan parks as well as a host of backpacker accommodation.
Airlie provides many of the essential services for travellers in the region and the town’s shopping areas are open seven days a week. Every Saturday the foreshore parkland turns into a bustling market with stalls selling fresh fruit and veggies, local arts and crafts and all manner of goods under the shade of coconut palms.
The mainland’s dining and entertainment options centre around Airlie Beach, ranging from silver service resort dining to al fresco cafes and cheap eats, while Airlie’s clubs and bars provide plenty of entertainment well into the night.
Airlie Beach marks the spot
The beachside coastal village of Airlie Beach is the perfect base from which to explore the mainland national parks and the Great Barrier Reef and islands. There’s a lovely community feel about Airlie Beach.
The locals are warm and friendly and often stop to say hello and chat about the weather, which is almost always perfect. Beachside markets every Saturday add to the community atmosphere and are as popular with the tourists as they are with the locals.
Airlie is a great family base offering safe, calm water beaches, inexpensive meals and an excellent variety of accommodation from luxury resorts to backpacker lodges.
From Airlie you can take scenic flights over the region and a range of tours out to the tropical islands of the Whitsundays including those with resorts or those uninhabited. Some of the largest bareboat charter fleets operate from here if you fancy skippering your own boat.
The range of activities on offer is limitless with every watersport imaginable from windsurfing to parasailing. You can learn to dive or snorkel and take a day trip to the outer reef to see some of the most vivid coral and fish in the world.
For those wanting to explore inland, a short trip from Airlie will take you to the Conway and Dryander National Parks and state forests. Take a four-wheel drive tour to experience the awe-inspiring beauty of the rainforest, home to the Proserpine rock wallaby, ferns, orchids and enormous hardwoods.
Nearest Airport: Whitsunday Coast
More Information: Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach Map
- Eco Tourism
- Food and Wine
- Nature based
- Soft Adventure
- Bush Walking
- Scenic Flight
- Wind Surfing
- National Park
- World Heritage
- Jet Boating
- Food and Wine
About Airlie Beach
Accommodation In Airlie Beach
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Airlie Beach
- Affordable Whitsunday Accommodation and Cruises
- Airlie Apartments
- Airlie Beach Hotel
- Airlie Beach Myaura Bed and Breakfast
- Airlie Beach Organic Bed and Breakfast Whitsunday
- Airlie Cove Resort & Van Park
- Airlie Waterfront Bed and Breakfast
- Backpackers By The Bay
- Beaches Backpackers Airlie Beach
- Best Western Colonial Palms Motor Inn
- Best Western Mango House Resort
- Big 4 Adventure Whitsunday Resort
- Comfort Resort Club Crocodile Airlie Beach
- Coral Sea Resort
- Downtown Airlie
- Flametree Tourist Village
- Island Gateway Holiday Park
- Island View Bed and Breakfast
- Koala Beach Resort Airlie Beach
- Magnums Backpackers Airlie Beach
- Martinique Whitsunday
- Mediterranean Resorts
- Pinnacles Resort and Spa
- Portside Whitsunday
- Reefside Villas Whitsunday
- Sailz Boutique Holiday Villas
- Sea Star Apartments
- Shingley Beach Resort
- Toscana Village Resort
- Water’s Edge Luxury Apartments
- Whitsunday Moorings B & B
- Whitsunday Terraces Resort
- Whitsunday Vista Resort
- Whitsunday Wanderers Resort
- Whitsunday Wanderers Resort
Tours In Airlie Beach
Discover some of the tours options around Airlie Beach
- Air Whitsunday Seaplanes
- Airlie Local Tours
- Aussie Adventure Sailing – Classic Sailing
- Aussie Adventure Sailing – Prosail Style Airlie Beach
- Aussie Adventure Sailing – Tallship Adventures
- Aussie Adventure Sailing – Whitsunday Marine Academy
- Aviation Adventures
- Aviation Tourism Australia
- Barefoot Cruises Australia
- Coral Trekker
- Cruise Whitsundays
- Fantasea Cruises Pty Ltd
- Mantaray Charters
- Ocean Rafting
- Oz Adventure Sailing – Islands, Reef and Dive
- Oz Adventure Sailing – Performance and Fun
- Oz Adventure Sailing – ProSail Maxi
- Oz Adventure Sailing – Sail and Dive
- Reef Odyssey
- Salty Dog Sea Kayaking
- Southern Cross Sailing Adventures
- Tallship Adventures