Sydney Inner West, NSW
Flavours from Italian to Middle Eastern, African and Asian makes Sydney‘s Inner West a mecca for foodies. Further a field, combine a visit to Sydney Olympic Park the site of the 2000 Olympic Games and historic Parramatta.
Glebe Point Road, Glebe, a popular and charming residential area for artists, students and the upwardly mobile, offers everything from cheap Indian to fine Modern Australian. Colourful nearby Newtown offers over twenty affordable ethnic cuisines in seventy restaurants and is also a popular spot for retro shopping, live music, offbeat theatre and vibrant nightlife.
Enjoy a short ferry ride from Circular Quay to the harbourside village of Balmain. Renowned for its pub culture you can easily mingle with local’s while listening to live jazz at one of the many old Aussie pubs. If you appreciate good pasta, good coffee and gelato nearby Leichhardt, Sydney’s Italian quarter, is definitely worth a visit.
Further west, discover Sydney Olympic Park at Homebush Bay. Not only Sydney’s major sporting venue, Sydney Olympic Park offers an ever-increasing range of attractions, activities and events. The best way to get there is by Rivercat from Circular Quay, which offers a scenic journey up the harbour to Rhodes and Parramatta River
Catch the Rivercat or train to nearby Parramatta. Today this modern city has some of the country’s oldest and most interesting buildings including Old Government House and Elizabeth Farm. Alfresco cafes line the city streets and the Riverside Theatre offers year round entertainment.
Inner West Highlights…..
- Enjoy lunch at one Glebe’s cafes specialising in organic and wholesome gourmet delights.
- Enmore Road and King Street’s one-off shops with typically idiosyncratic themes as buttons and beads, retro, underground records, tribal gifts handbags and gothic garments.
- Enjoy a drink and great live music at one of the many Aussie style pubs in Balmain.
- Watch the locals while enjoying an Italian pastry and the finest hand-blended roasted coffees at a Leichhardt cafe.
- Visit the Parramatta Heritage and Visitors Information Centre. Its museum is the perfect starting point to discover the history of Parramatta.
- Catch a performance at the Parramatta Riverside Theatres, offering drama and comedy shows.
- Buy a great value Superpass, which includes a tour of Stadium Australia, the Sydney Aquatic Centre and entry to the Novotel Hotel observation deck.