A real pub culture and a contemporary dining scene
Historically Balmain was one of Sydney’s oldest working class suburbs where many of Sydney’s ferries were built. Today it’s renowned for being one of the city’s trendiest and most affluent suburbs. Some of Australia’s well-known writers, actors and entertainers call this harbourside village their home.
Balmain has more than its share of new and traditional Aussie pubs where you’re encouraged to mingle with the locals. Eating options are plentiful with buzzing cafes and restaurants offering a range of experiences from pubs to al fresco- style fine dining. If you go on a Saturday, explore the market held in the grounds of the local church and see why it attracts people from all over Sydney. Balmain’s colourful streets’ and historical charm is combined with the fashionable food and shopping options of today.
- Arrive by ferry at the foot of Darling Street and walk up the hill into the village.
- Browse through the shops to find recycled art, contemporary galleries, jewellery and second hand books.
- Explore Balmain’s working class origins by walking through the backstreets and discovering charming old buildings. The Balmain Walk pamphlet is available from the Watchhouse.
- Join the Balmain Historic Pub Tour. A walking tour taking in the history and local hotel scene every Saturday.
- Enjoy a drink and great live music at one of the many pubs’: The London, The Commercial, The Cat and Fiddle, Sir William Wallace, The Royal, The Riverview.
- Take a gourmet self-guided walking tour incorporating the providores, hand made chocolate shops and other delectables.
- Visit Herbie’s Spices for the Southern Hemisphere’s largest range of culinary herbs and spices.
- Walk from Darling Street to the Dawn Fraser pool and see where Australia’s greatest Olympian spent her youth.
Activites and Experiences at Balmain
- The Arts
- Food and Wine
Nearest Airport: sydney