Pemberton is an ideal location from which to explore the south west corner of Western Australia. Pemberton is located about an hour and a half’s drive from Margaret River, Busselton, Walpole/Nornalup and the Valley of the Giants, and only two hours’ drive from Bunbury.
Pemberton was established in 1913 as a timber town. The town’s name comes from one of the earliest European settlers, Pemberton Walcott.
Nestled in the valley surrounded by the karri forests of the Gloucester National Park and the Pemberton Forest Park, Pemberton enjoys a cool Mediterranean climate with crystal clear streams, rich soils and friendly locals.
It’s the smell of the forest that you won’t forget, the cool night air, the crackle of a log fire or the views from your verandah. While the karri forest may be the backdrop, Pemberton offers great diversity within a very small area. Explore by self drive, regular four wheel drive, or guided tour. Discover the forest on horseback, tranquil at a walk and exhilarating at a faster pace. Four wheel drive tracks enable you to see the best of the karri forest, discover the secret Yeagerup dunes or the nearby coast.
Canoe hire is available for you to travel by river. An experienced and knowledgeable guide will lead you on a leisurely stroll or take you for a hiking and camping experience of several days. Take a timber tour, see a working timber mill and find out how the forests are managed, or join an Aboriginal cultural tour and taste some bush tucker.
Learn how to drive the engine while on a nostalgic trip on a Steam Train. See the karri forest by tramway, travelling over many streams and brooks on wooden trestle bridges.
Pemberton’s cool climate and abundant fresh water make it ideal for raising trout and marron (a local freshwater crayfish). You can purchase your marron or trout direct from the farm or catch your own in the farm’s ponds.
Safe swimming and a magnificent setting can be found at the Big Brook Dam. The beaches close to Pemberton also offer superb beach fishing.
Arts and crafts are created from the inspiration of the forest. Be inspired yourself and visit one of the many galleries and craft centres featuring fine local work.
Relax in a garden cafe, enjoy a gourmet meal as you gaze out over the karri forest, purchase some fine local wine at the cellar door and enjoy the wholesome country cooking and hospitality. Pemberton is famous for its towering karri forests, cool bubbling streams, steep river valleys and secluded white beaches.
Pemberton is serviced by bus services from Perth, Bunbury and Albany.
A wide range of quality accommodation is available including lodge, hotel, motel, self contained cottages, cabins, bed and breakfast and caravan and camping facilities.
Activites and Experiences at Pemberton
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Rural/Country Relating to the rural/country lifestyle (ie agricultural or pastoral)
- Eco Tourism Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation. Product fitting this experiencee have been awarded an Eco Tourism Accreditation
- Farm/Station On a farm or station with the option to participate in the activities of the property.
- Fishing Related to any fishing activities
- Flora and Fauna Relating to Plant and Animal Life
- Food and Wine A vineyard is a man-made facility for the distribution of wine. A winery attraction offers wine tasting and the opportunity to purchase.
- Historic/Heritage Nation’s historic buildings, monuments, countryside etc, especially when regarded worthy of preservation
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture Relating to Industry, mining or agriculture
- National Park A national park is an area that is recognised for its natural features that are protected by controlled access and usage
- Wildlife Animals living in their natural environment or attractions that provide visitors with the opportunity to view a variety of wildlife
Nearest Airport: Busselton
Accommodation In Pemberton
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Pemberton
- Beedelup House Cottages
- Best Western Pemberton Hotel
- Big Brook Cottages
- Comfort Inn Karri Forest Motel
- Donnelly Lakes
- Forest Lodge Resort & Broadaxe Restaurant
- Gloucester Motel
- Hawke Brook Chalets
- Karri Valley Chalets
- Karri Valley Resort
- Marima Cottages
- Old Picture Theatre Apartments
- Pemberton Breakaway Cottages
- Pemberton Caravan Park
- Pemberton Farm Chalets
- Pemberton Forest Stay
- Pemberton Lavender & Berry Farm, Cafe & Cottages
- Peppermint Grove Retreat
- Pump Hill Farm Cottages
- Treen Ridge Estate B & B
- Treenbrook Cottages
- Warren River Resort
Tours In Pemberton
Discover some of the tours options around Pemberton