Lake Cathie, NSW
Lake Cathie (pronounced ‘cat-eye’) is just 12 km south of Port Macquarie.
A world where the essence of a perfect holiday is warm, crystal clear shallow waters full of splashing giggling toddlers; do-it-yourself lakeside barbecues and breezy holiday cottages, caravan parks and self-contained holiday flats that make a week by the seaside pass by in the blink of the eye.
Lake Cathie’s large saltwater lake is the second largest estuarine salt march area in NSW. Periodically opened to the sea, the warm shallow waters are ideal for young children and there are lots of picnic tables and BBQs around the shore. Venture up to the northern headland where a fantastic forest walk has been established, with a viewing platform which offers fabulous views across the lake and out to the ocean.
· Take a drive during the spring and summer wildflower season.
· Pack a picnic or fire up the barbecue for a day with the kids on the shores of Lake Cathie.
· Drop a line in the lake or on the beach.
· Practise your 4WD driving techniques along the vast expanse of Rainbow Beach.
· At night, try some hand-hauled prawning in the lake
· Take a moonlight walk along the beach.
· Find a shady tree and a good book and let the world drift by.
The Greater Port Macquarie Visitor Information Centres can help you make the most of your time in the region.
For assistance, information and bookings,
Call: +61 2 6581 8000 or toll free 1300 303 155
Lake Cathie Map
About Lake Cathie
- Locality: Urban locality
- Lake Cathie Postcode: 2445
- State: New South Wales
- Region: North Coast NSW
- Latitude: -31.55229
- Longitude: 152.85493
- Elevation: 9m
- Population: 3494
- Median Income: $25480
- Area (Sq/km): 19.196
- Timezone: Australia/Sydney
Accommodation In Lake Cathie
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Lake Cathie