Julia Creek is located on the Overlander’s Way, the main route from Townsville that runs west to Mount Isa and on to Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory. Julia Creek started to grow when the railway line was extended in February 1908. The town was named after the niece of Donald McIntyre, the first European settler in the area. An interesting collection of memorabilia can be found at the Donald McIntyre Museum in Burke Street.
The district’s main industries are cattle, sheep, and mining at BHP Cannington. Julia Creek is a major stock trucking and cattle sales centre. Its impressive saleyards are fitted with lighting for night loading and unloading.
The area is home to a rare and endangered marsupial, the Julia Creek Dunnart. Because of their nocturnal habits and timid natures, glimpses of the dunnart are rare.
Julia Creek has many sporting and social events on its calendar that are a major feature of the town’s lifestyle.
While in the area, take the time to visit Punchbowl Waterhole and Sedan Dip. On the Flinders River approximately 45 kilometres north-east of Julia Creek, the Punchbowl is an excellent spot for swimming, fishing and picnicking. Sedan Dip is on the Cloncurry River, on the Beef Road to Normanton, 100 kilometres north of Julia Creek.
Activites and Experiences at Julia Creek
- Off Road Driving
- Fossicking Moon rocks are found in many areas around Julia Creek. They are spherical stones that usually hold fossils inside.
- Sports Participate
- Sports Viewing
- Airport Macair Airlines.
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities Queensland Country Credit Union.
- Coach Stop Greyhound service to and from Mount Isa and Townsville.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Fuel All fuels available.
- Public Bar
- Mechanical Services Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ).
- Medical Facilities
- National Park
- Post Office
- Rail Terminal Queensland Rail Inlander Service to and from Mount Isa and Townsville runs twice weekly.
- Sporting Facilities
- Supermarket All major goods and services available.
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Visitor Centres In the library on the corner of Burke and Quarrel Streets.
- Places of Worship
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Fishing At Sedan Dip, Minamere, Punchbowl, Eddington, Dalagonally, which are all waterholes around Julia Creek.
- Off road
- Soft Adventure
- Water based Waterskiing and swimming at Sedan Dip, Minamere, Punchbowl, Eddington, Dalagonally, which are all waterholes around Julia Creek.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
- Empty Nesters
- Gay and Lesbian
- Outback Queensland Tourism
Nearest Airport: Julia Creek
Accommodation In Julia Creek
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Julia Creek