Imagine being in a place so diverse, so vast, you feel an indescribable sense of freedom. From the plains of the downs country to the silvery shimmer of the sun shining on the gidgee trees in the forest country, Richmond is often referred to as an oasis in the Outback.
Crossing the rolling downs country of north west Queensland, originally opened to white settlement by the explorer William Landsborough in 1862, the township of Richmond is a welcome sight on the horizon. Situated on the Overlander’s Way halfway between Townsville and Mount Isa, the town sits on the bank of Queensland’s longest river, the Flinders.
The region is an important pastoral centre for sheep and cattle, utilising the rich downs country. The township boasts outstanding gardens, lined streets and parks of bougainvilleas, native trees and shrubs. The bright and beautiful display is a feature that has become synonymous with Richmond.
Once part of the ancient inland sea, Richmond is rich in fossil deposits. Award-winning Kronosaurus Korner has some of Australia’s best vertebrate and marine fossils on display. If you find that are infected with ‘fossil fever’ after visiting Kronosaurus Korner, go out to one of the region’s dedicated fossicking sites to find your own fossils. Regular finds include shark teeth, fish bones, belemnites, ammonites and various shells.
If stepping back in time is more your scene, then take a heritage walk around the town, viewing the signs depicting the yesteryear.
Activites and Experiences at Richmond
- Fossicking There are several areas in the area where fossicking for fossils is permitted. Please contact the information centre at Kronosaurus Korner.
- Industrial Tour the Aquaculture Farm or the Sandalwood Factory.
- Sports Participate Bowling.
- Swimming Town swimming pool.
- Marine Animal watching Marine fossils.
- Walking Walking track around Lake Fred Tritton.
- Water-based Recreational lake.
- Accommodation Motels ranging from two and a half to four star; Hotels/Motels; Caravan Park with powered sites, unpowered sites and self contained units.
- Airport MacAir Airlines.
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities National Australia Bank, Suncorp and Commonwealth Bank agencies at the post office.
- Boat Ramp Lake Fred Tritton.
- Coach Stop Greyhound Australia services to and from Townsville and Mount Isa daily.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Fuel Ampol, BP and Mobil.
- Hospital Regional Hospital and doctor.
- Public Bar
- Mechanical Services Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ).
- Medical Facilities
- Post Office
- Rail Terminal Queensland Rail Inlander service to and from Townsville and Mount Isa, twice weekly.
- Sporting Facilities Bowling club, recreational lake.
- Supermarket Most general goods and services available.
- Swimming Pool
- Tennis Court
- Visitor Centres Kronosaurus Korner.
- Places of Worship Anglican Church and Catholic Church.
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Fishing Flinders River – cod, catfish and bream.
- Soft Adventure
- Water based
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
- Empty Nesters
- Outback Queensland Tourism
Nearest Airport: Richmond
Accommodation In Richmond
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Richmond