Located south of Sydney, the Kurnell Peninsula in Sutherland marks the place of first contact between Aboriginal Australians and Lieutenant James Cook, who landed here in 1770, paving the way for the establishment of a British Colony in Port Jackson in 1788.
Today, Sutherland is known for it’s relaxed beachside vibe.
You can walk on the actual spot where Cook landed on Kurnells Monument Track as well as visit the Discovery Centre at Kurnell whose exhibitions and displays explains the Aboriginal significance of the area.
The Sutherland shire stretches from Kurnell to Boat Harbour, Cronulla, Sutherland and the world class Royal National Park where you can explore rugged coastline and lush Australian bush.
The area’s known for its Aboriginal significance, and is the place of first contact between Aboriginal Australians and Lieutenant James Cook in 1770.
The relaxed beachside suburb of Cronulla is well known for the surfing, and offers relaxed dining with views of the beach. A ferry across the Port Hacking River offers access into the Royal National Park where short walks or extended hikes are available to explore the rugged coastline and lush Australian bush.
Sutherland – Kurnell Highlights
- Catch a ferry from Cronulla to Bundeena and go on one of many walking trails through The Royal National Park to discover secluded beaches and restful picnic areas.
- Try your luck deep-sea fishing or go whale watching from June to October.
- Join a tour or hire your own BBQ boat and cruise the Port Hacking River.
- Enjoy lunch or an afternoon cocktail at “Northies,” Cronulla’s popular seaside bar and brassiere.
- Travel back to yesteryear and discover Sydney historical trams, once Sydney’s most popular modes of transport.
- Four Wheel Drive through the dunes and along the beach at Boat Harbour.
- Food and Wine
- Nature based
- Bush Walking
- Skiing - Water
- Wind Surfing
- National Park
- Fishing - Beach
- Fishing - Deep Sea
- Food and Wine
- Locality: Suburb
- Sutherland Postcode: 2232
- State: New South Wales
- Region: Sydney
- Latitude: -34.03143
- Longitude: 151.05797
- Elevation: 112m
- Population: 10816
- Median Income: $47268
- Area (Sq/km): 3.571
- Timezone: Australia/Sydney