Located on the western fringe of the Darling Downs, the Shire of Millmerran offers a fascinating mix of experiences, sights and characters. You will see the best of Darling Downs living in the rich agricultural area of the Condamine and Macintyre catchments, and experience the spirit of the Western Downs through the Shire’s unique attractions and festivals.
Millmerran is home to a series of larger than life murals placed throughout the town to depict stages of the town and district’s history. An impressive mural located on the water reservoir at the eastern entrance to town will give you an eye-catching pictorial history of the Millmerran Water Supply.
The Commodore Peak lookout has a panoramic view over Millmerran, through to the new 840 MW Power Station and 3.4 million tonne per annum Coal Mine.
The Mount Basalt reserve, just 19 kilometres south of Millmerran, is well worth the look, and from here you’ll find a variety of walking trails and a lookout offering spectacular views. Mt Basalt is a unique geological and environmental landmark that features rare volcanic formations.
The All Saints Anglican Church on the Gore Highway in Yandilla was built in 1877 and is the oldest standing structure in the Shire. This classic building boasts magnificent stained glass windows erected in the memory of the Rev William Francis Gore.
Millmerran Shire is also well known for its popular biennial and annual events. The Australian Camp Oven Festival occurs every two years. The National Rendezvous of muzzle-load rifle shooters is another biennial event that attracts many participants and spectators.
Activites and Experiences at Millmerran
- Off Road Driving Off road driving can be done in various forestry areas in the Millmerran Shire.
- Art and Craft making Art and craft making is a regular activity at the Millmerran Community and Cultural Centre.
- Bushwalking Mt Basalt Reserve has bushwalking tracks.
- Camping Along the Condamine River, at Yarramalong, Broadwater, Lemontree and Cecil Plains.
- Canoeing Along the Condamine River, at Yarramalong, Broadwater, Lemontree and Cecil Plains and at Camp Western.
- Cooking The Millmerran Camp Oven Festival is a bi-annual event with the next one held in October 2004.
- Driving Get a copy of the Great Country Drives of the Darling Downs from Toowoomba & Golden West Regional Tourist Association
- Farm/Station activity
- Fishing – Estuary Fishing can be enjoyed all year round on the Condamine River. The Yarramalong Tag Fishing Competition is held yearly.
- Exercising Millmerran has an impressive indoor sports centre with basketball courts, tennis courts and more. Also visit the Millmerran public swimming pool.
- Gambling Gaming machines are in operation at the Millmerran Memorial Sportsmans Club, the Rams Head Hotel, Blandy’s Tavern, the Victory Hotel and the Millmerran Golf Club.
- Golfing Millmerran has a 19 hole golf club located on Koorangarra Road. The club has fairway watering and bridges to accommodate motorised buggies. Facilities include a bar, catering, poker machines, pull buggy hire and a practice putting green. Professional instruction is available by appointment.
- Industrial The Millmerran Power Station and Coal Mine is an important addition to the town and has created a substantial number of new jobs.
- Motor racing Motor racing is held at the Reserve Route. Millmerran has a local motor club.
- Animal Riding Talk to someone at the Millmerran Pony Club based at the Millmerran Showgrounds.
- Shopping Millmerran shops in the main street providing for basic shopping needs.
- Sightseeing Mt Basalt and Commodore Peak.
- Sports Participate The Millmerran Indoor Sports Centre has impressive facilities available for public use.
- Tennis Outdoor tennis courts are available for hire at the Millmerran Indoor Sports Centre.
- Walking Hiking or orienteering can be enjoyed at Camp Western.
- Water-based Canoeing can be enjoyed at Camp Western.
- Airport The Millmerran Unlicensed Airport is located 1km from town. Strip directions: 13/31. There are no tie down/hanger facilities. Maintenance facilities are available. Beware of agricultural aircraft and low flying activity. The airstrip has no lighting.
- Automatic Teller Machine An Automatic Teller Machine is available at the National Australia Bank in Millmerran.
- Banking Facilities
- Boat Ramp
- Bottled Gas
- Licensed Club
- Convention Centre Conference facilities are available at the Millmerran Cultural Centre and the Millmerran Memorial Sportsmans Club.
- Currency Exchange Currency can be exchanged at the National Bank in Millmerran.
- Public Bar
- Mechanical Services
- Medical Facilities
- National Park
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Sporting Facilities
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court Outdoor tennis courts are available for hire at the Millmerran Indoor Sports Centre.
- Visitor Centres
- Places of Worship
- The Arts Millmerran’s Historical Mural Series can be admired on the walls of buildings throughout the Millmerran Shire. The Old Millmerran Butter Factory has murals depicting the development of the dairying industry in the district. The Millmerran water reservoir confronts the traveller as they enter town from the eastern side and is painted with a mural depicting the early days of transporting water in Millmerran. The Millmerran swimming pool murals show swim costume fashions through the years, as well as a typical waterhole, where the people of Millmerran went to swim until 1966 when the swimming pool was built. Cecil Plains (53 kilometres north of Millmerran) also features Historic Murals.
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Health and Fitness
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture
- National Park
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Millmerran Unlicensed Airport