Oakey has all the amenities of a modern town including an Olympic pool, excellent sporting facilities and many service and social clubs. It also features Australia’s largest Army Aviation Base. The Museum of Australian Army Flying houses an impressive display of every type of aircraft flown by the Australian Army since World War Two.
Oakey is a friendly rural community surrounded by far stretching golden fields of grain, and paddocks scattered with grazing farm animals. The Town offers warm country hospitality in a relaxed rural atmosphere.
The Town’s major industries include export abattoirs, malting and engineering works.
Activites and Experiences at Oakey
- Art and Craft making At the Jondaryan Woolshed during the Australian Heritage Festival in late August each year.
- Camping Jondaryan Woolshed and Bowenville Reserve.
- Farm/Station activity The shire’s black soil plains support various grains, vegetable crops and vineyards. The area also supports dairy and beef cattle, sheep, goats, alpacas, poultry, pigs and cattle feedlots. Sheep shearing and more and vintage farming at the Jondaryan Woolshed.
- Fishing – Estuary Oakey Creek. Contact Toowoomba & Golden West Regional Tourist Association for a fishing and camping guide.
- Gambling RSL Club, various hotels and a tavern.
- Gliding Darling Downs Soaring Club on Hastings Road, off Warrego Highway in Bowenville.
- Golfing Oakey Golf Club on the Warrego Highway.
- Motor racing Downs Speedway located at Charlton.
- Art Painting The Oakey Art Group is based on Stanley Street in Oakey.
- Swimming The Oakey Swimming Pool is on Campbell Street, Oakey.
- Tennis Visit the Oakey Tennis club on Kent Street or the Westbrook Tennis Club at Centenary Park in Westbrook.
- Animal Viewing Jondaryan Woolshed.
- Wine Tasting Two wineries, including Governor’s Choice Winery on Berghofer Road.
- Accommodation Three Motels, two Caravan Parks and lodging at the Jondaryan Woolshed.
- Airport Oakey Army Aviation Base on Corfe Street.
- Ambulance Oakey Ambulance on Cherry Street.
- Automatic Teller Machine ANZ, Commonwealth, National & Heritage Building Society on Campbell Street.
- Banking Facilities ANZ, Commonwealth, National, Heritage Building Society, Westpac and Commonwealth Banks.
- Bottled Gas Available from various outlets.
- Chemist Two pharmacies on Campbell Street.
- Licensed Club Oakey RSL Club on Campbell Street.
- Coach Stop Peters Coaches on Bridge Street.
- Dentist Peter Ford on Cherry Street.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale Available in most retail outlets.
- Fuel Available in various locations.
- Golf Oakey Golf Club on the Warrego Highway.
- Hospital Oakey Health Services on Beale Street.
- Public Bar Various locations.
- Dog Kennels/Catteries Boarding Kennels on Hamlyn Road.
- Mechanical Services Various services available.
- Medical Facilities Oakey Medial Centre on Cherry Street.
- Newsagent Newsagency on Campbell Street.
- Police Police Station on Bell Street.
- Post Office Post Office on Bell Street.
- Public Telephone Adjacent the Post Office on Bell Street.
- Sporting Facilities Various sporting facilities are available.
- Supermarket Supermarket on Toowoomba Road.
- Swimming Pool Public Swimming Pool at 58 Campbell Street.
- Takeaway Food Available at various outlets.
- Tennis Court Kent Street, Oakey.
- Winery Two wineries, including Governor’s Choice Winery on Berghofer Road in Westbrook.
- Caravan and Camping Two caravan parks.
- Rural/Country Jondaryan Woolshed and the famous farming on the Darling Downs.
- Cultural Three museums, including the Museum of Australian Army Flying, Jondaryan Woolshed.
- Educational History comes to life Wednesday to Sunday at the Jondaryan Woolshed.
- Food and Wine Two wineries, including Governor’s Choice.
- Gambling RSL Club and various hotels.
- Golf Nine hole country course.
- Historic/Heritage Three museums, including the Jondaryan Woolshed, Museum of Australian Army Flying.
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture Jondaryan Woolshed – wool industry and agriculture.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Toowoomba