A charming reminder of early South Australia, Melrose nestles at the foot of Mount Remarkable National Park, serving a rural community and at the same time offering a pleasant holiday retreat.
Many of Melrose’s features are within walking distance. Climb to the War Memorial for a panoramic view over the Willochra Plain, or to Lookout Hill near the water tanks. Cathedral Rock is a spectacular formation along the edge of Mount Remarkable Creek, west of the town.
Walk through the fascinating Melrose Courthouse Heritage Centre which brings to life the early days of miners, timber workers, pioneering women and farm workers. This innovative museum has possibly one of the best depictions of the early history of the upper and far north of South Australia.
Melrose, the oldest town in the Flinders Ranges, came into existence because of a copper deposit found in the area in 1840s. However, today, situated safely within the assured rainfall area, grazing, wheat and barley growing are the main activities.
Activites and Experiences at Melrose
- Off Road Driving
- Mountain Biking
- Trail bike riding
- Wine Tasting
- Accommodation Caravan Park
- Ambulance Available at Booleroo Centre.
- Automatic Teller Machine
- Banking Facilities Bank SA and National Australia Agencies.
- Bottled Gas Refills available at Melrose IGA.
- Licensed Club
- Service Club Masonic and Buffalo Lodges.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Fuel Diesel, Lead replacement and unleaded.
- Public Bar Two hotels
- Mechanical Services
- Medical Facilities Consultations, Friday mornings in Melrose, other services at Boolerroo Centre.
- National Park
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Sporting Facilities
- Takeaway Food Melrose IGA
- Tennis Court
- Places of Worship Uniting, Anglican.
- Caravan and Camping
- Food and Wine
- Health and Fitness
- National Park
- Off road
- Pub Stay
Accommodation In Melrose
Discover some of the accommodation in and around Melrose
Tours In Melrose
Discover some of the tours options around Melrose