Sydney’s Macarthur lays 50km south west of Sydney centre and is renowned as the birthplace of Australia’s wool, wheat and wine industries. Discover the hidden secrets of a region emersed in history, brimming with adventure and unique in charm and character. Every season offers a fresh patchwork of experiences and adventure, providing the perfect weekend escape or adventure holiday.
Macarthur is home to numerous picturesque rural towns including Camden and Picton and also offers modern shopping centres and entertainment within Campbelltown, also home to the impressive Bicentennial Art Gallery. Campbelltown’s Queen Street is lined with excellent examples of mid-19th century architecture.
Enjoy a day at an Australiana farm, ‘Gledswood Homestead’ at Catherine Field, set in six acres of historic gardens and dates back to 1827. Belgenny Farm in Camden is an historic site where you can witness re-enactments of Rum Corps drills at the homestead of John Macarthur, after whom the region is named. Nature lovers shouldn’t miss the Georges River Nature Reserve, which offers spectacular sandstone scenery and is a well-known koala habitat.
Feeling adventurous? The skydiving centre at Wilton is the jump off point for parachuting and gliding. Scenic biplane flights and hot air ballooning are available from Camden airport.
- Picnic in Mount Annan Botanic Gardens and enjoy a wonderful display of Australian flora.
- Have lunch at Picton’s King George IV and experience an authentic Australian pub.
- Bid for a bargain or antique treasure at the weekend Narellan Auctions.
- Join a Sydney Wine Trail taking in Kirkham Estate, Gledswood and Vicary’s Winery.
- Visit one of the weekend country markets at Cobbitty, Camden, Picton or Menangle.
- Enjoy the ambience of a cosy B&B located on the rolling hills of Wollondilly.
- Take a ride on the heritage trains from Thirlmere Rail Heritage Centre.
- Experience the majesty of a Macarthur sunrise, take a hot air balloon flight followed by a champagne breakfast.
- Horse Riding
- Wine Tasting