Hyden is situated 340 kilometres or four hours’ drive east of Perth, via the Brookton Highway. More than 100,000 tourists visit the town every year on their way to the famous Wave Rock.
Wave Rock is just four kilometres east of Hyden on a nature reserve of some 160 hectares. The Rock is a granite cliff, 15 metres high and 110 long, shaped remarkably like a huge wave. Geologists believe the original granite formation has been sculptured and coloured by weather, water and chemical erosion over 2.7 billion years to take on its wave like character.
Other natural attractions in the area include Hippo’s Yawn and Mulka’s Cave. The Aboriginal art in Mulka’s Cave is some of the best found in the southwest of Western Australia. The name Mulka comes from an Aboriginal legend associated with the cave. Mulka was the illegal son of a woman who fell in love with a man with whom marriage was forbidden. The story of their fate can be read in the Wave Rock Experience Brochure available at Wave Rock outlets and by phoning Wave Rock Visitor Centre +61 (08) 9880 5066.
Around Hyden in the spring (September to December), dozens of wildflower varieties produce carpets of colour, and more than 40 different species of birds, from the smallest wren to the large wedge tailed eagle, can be seen.
The area is rich in Aboriginal history: Many stone tools used by the Aborigines have been found and painted hand marks can still be seen on rocks at the Humps.
Sandalwood cutters are believed to have been the first white men in the area. The earliest farming was in 1922 and the descendants of these settlers still live in Hyden today. Wheat production started in 1927 and grain was carted to Kondinin until the railway from Lake Grace reached Hyden in 1932.
Hyden also features the largest collection of lace in the southern hemisphere, a wildlife park featuring koalas and rare white kangaroos, a pioneer museum, observatory and scenic flights.
The picturesque 18 hole golf course is open during winter and spring. It is situated on the south side of Wave Rock and open to visitors and locals alike.
Local Australian Rules Football days are family days filled with excitement and entertainment, an event that should not be missed.
Hyden offers a range of dining experiences. There are bakeries, bistros, fine dining restaurants and cafes to suit every taste. The hotel boasts excellent meals and a lovely beer garden (outdoor area) with a swimming pool. The country club is a small, friendly club next to beautiful gardens.
Accommodation in Hyden ranges from stylish motels and cottages to a caravan park offering onsite vans and camping sites. Budget accommodation is also available at the backpacker hostel.
Activites and Experiences at Hyden
- Off Road Driving
- Sightseeing Clients view the many sights of the area.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Aussie Lifestyle Typical Australian way of living
- Caravan and Camping Accommodation in own/hired caravan or camping
- Rural/Country Relating to the rural/country lifestyle (ie agricultural or pastoral)
- Eco Tourism Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation. Product fitting this experiencee have been awarded an Eco Tourism Accreditation
- Environmental Relating to the natural environment, its protection and conservation
- Farm/Station On a farm or station with the option to participate in the activities of the property.
- Flora and Fauna Relating to Plant and Animal Life
- Honeymoon Holiday marketed towards honeymoon couples
- Industry/Mining, Agriculture Relating to Industry, mining or agriculture
- Nature based Relating to the natural environment
- Outback Remote and usually uninhibited or sparesely inhabited areas of Australia
- Remote Remote and usually uninhabited or sparsely inhabitd areas of Australia
- Soft Adventure Experiencing some adventure but in comfort and style
- Shopping Organised shopping or shopping at well know retail outlets
- Wilderness Uncultivated and still wild region of forests, scrub, bush and desert
- Wildflower The flower of an uncultivated plant
- Wildlife Animals living in their natural environment or attractions that provide visitors with the opportunity to view a variety of wildlife
Nearest Airport: Wave Rock