The town of Surat, situated on the banks of the Balonne River, is the centre of the picturesque Warroo Shire, an ideal place to enjoy a little country relaxation. Its position on the Great Inland Way between Roma and St George makes it an ideal stop for visitors heading north from New South Wales.
Founded in 1849 after Sir Thomas Mitchell passed through the area, Surat is also the site of the very last Cobb and Co. coach run.
The Cobb & Co. Changing Station Complex in Surat incorporates the Cobb & Co. Store Museum, the Balonne River Gallery, the window to the Balonne Freshwater Aquarium, the Warroo Shire Library and the Information Centre. In days gone by, the building served as a change over station for travellers and their horses to refresh during long journeys.
On display in the Cobb & Co. Store Museum are progressively changing displays depicting the lifestyles of yesteryear, giving you an insight into the area’s social history. Also on display is a 14 seater working Cobb & Co. Coach. The Balonne River Gallery proudly showcases local artists, as well as travelling art exhibitions featuring well-known artists.
In the 25,000 litre freshwater fish aquarium ‘The Window to the Balonne’ you’ll see Murray Cod, Yellowbelly and many other freshwater fish species. As you enter the complex the magnificent floor to ceiling mural of the Balonne River bank will captivate you.
Surat is home to Villacoola Winery. Taste the award winning wines at Surat’s boutique winery, Villacoola. Open for wine tastings and sales, this cool oasis is situated on the banks of the Balonne River.
Surat has some great fishing thanks to the local Fishing and Restocking club. The club regularly restocks Surat’s gorgeous stretch of the Balonne River with Murray Cod and Yellowbelly fingerlings.
Activites and Experiences at Surat
- Off Road Driving There are various dirt roads surrounding Surat.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Visit the Aboriginal Bush Gardens in Surat.
- Art and Craft making The Regional Art Development Fund Program hold regular workshops. Contact the Warro Shire Council for details.
- Mountain Biking
- Birdwatching The reserve at Telgazlie is ideal for birdwatching.
- Camping Camping is permitted on the river bank in Surat.
- Canoeing The Balonne River is suitable for canoeing.
- Farm/Station activity There is a farm stay near Surat, contact the Surat Information Centre for details 07 4626 5136
- Fishing – Estuary Balonne River
- Flora Water lillies can be seen at the Aboriginal Bush Gardens.
- Fruit Picking Grape picking is done seasonally at the Villacoola Vineyard, situated at the junction of the Carnarvon Highway and the Balonne River at Surat. Villacoola has 12 acres of established vines.
- Golfing 18 hole golf club in Surat
- Kayaking The Balonne River is suitable for kayaking.
- Motor racing Drag races are held at the Surat Airstrip
- Art Painting
- Skating Surat has a skate park in town.
- Skiing – Water
- Sports Participate Various team sports are played on weekends.
- Sports Viewing
- Swimming Go for a swim in the Surat Public Swimming Pool or in the Balonne River.
- Tennis Tennis courts are available for hire.
- Walking The Balonne River offers a nice area to walk.
- Water-based Watersports can be done on the Balonne River
- Wine Tasting Villacoola Vineyard is situated at the junction of the Carnarvon Highway and the Balonne River at Surat. A full range of wines are crafted from the established Chardonnay, Shiraz, Semillion and Black and White Muscat vines.
- Accommodation Motel, Hotel, Farm Stay Homestead and Bed and Breakfast accommodation is available in Surat.
- Banking Facilities Queensland Teachers Credit Union and Commonwealth Bank
- Boat Ramp
- Bottled Gas Bottled gas is available from two businesses in Surat: Thompsons General Store and Abertons.
- Cinema/Theatre Surat has a historic cinema with canvas chairs. Movies are scheduled and can be viewed on special occasions.
- Licensed Club Bowls Club, Golf Club and Tennis Club.
- Convention Centre The RSL Community Centre is capable of hosting conventions.
- Dentist A dentist visits Surat once a month.
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale EFTPOS facilities are available at Foodtown, Thompsons General Store, the Royal Hotel and the Surat BP
- Fuel BP Service Station in Surat.
- Golf 18 hole golf club.
- Public Bar
- Mechanical Services
- Medical Facilities
- Post Office
- Public Telephone Public telephones are located at the Post Office and the BP Service Station
- Restaurant Dinner is available at the Golf and Bowls Clubs.
- Sporting Facilities
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court
- Visitor Centres Cobb & Co Changing Station.
- Winery Villacoola Winery.
- Places of Worship
- The Arts Balonne River Gallery.
- Aussie Lifestyle
- Caravan and Camping
- Cultural Aboriginal Bush Garden.
- Flora and Fauna
- Health and Fitness
- Nature based
- Off road
- Pub Stay
- Water based
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
Nearest Airport: Surat Unlicensed Airport
Tours In Surat
Discover some of the tours options around Surat