The Matilda Highway begins in the Paroo Shire in South West Queensland. The Matilda Highway runs north/south through the Shire and the Adventure Way runs east/west.
There are four towns in the Paroo Shire, namely Cunnamulla, Eulo, Wyandra and Yowah. The Shire offers fishing, birdwatching, history of early pioneers, unusual natural attractions and opal mining. You can be a part of the outback lifestyle by participating in local events such as school fetes, polocrosse carnivals, sheep shows, field days and lizard races.
In Cunnamulla there are several tours available. A local operator offers tours of the town, a day trip to the opal fields and three to four day tours of the south west area. There is also a cemetery tour available.
The Warrego River runs through Wyandra and Cunnamulla and there are several good fishing holes and areas for birdwatching.
Eulo is the home of the only date winery in Australia. Local honey and by-products of the bees and of the dates are also sold in Eulo. Just west of Eulo are several artesian mud springs. The Nine Mile Bore at Eulo is a popular spot for birdwatching.
Yowah offers opal mining, tours of an underground mine and of an open cut mine, and stunning views from the ‘Bluff’.
Take a walk around the Heritage Trail in Wyandra and learn the history of this old railway town. The museum is located in the Power House.
Paroo Shire offers a choice of accommodation from old Queensland pubs, hotels/motels, caravan parks and farmstays. Access to all towns and attractions is possible by conventional vehicles as all major roads are sealed.
Activites and Experiences at Paroo Area
- Birdwatching Eulo, Cunnamulla.
- Bushwalking Tracks on Warrego River, Cunnamulla.
- Farm/Station activity Cunnamulla, Eulo and Wyandra.
- Fossicking Opal fossicking at Yowah.
- Golfing Cunnamulla, Yowah.
- Sports Viewing Horse racing.
- Automatic Teller Machine Warrego Hotel, AUD100.00 maximum.
- Banking Facilities National Australia Bank, Commonwealth Bank sub-agency at the Post Office.
- Boat Ramp
- Bottled Gas
- Licensed Club
- Service Club
- Coach Stop
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale
- Public Bar
- Mechanical Services
- Medical Facilities
- National Park
- Post Office
- Public Telephone
- Rail Terminal
- Sporting Facilities
- Swimming Pool
- Takeaway Food
- Tennis Court
- Visitor Centres
- Winery Date winery at Eulo.
- Places of Worship
- Aussie Lifestyle Local events, artesian baths.
- Caravan and Camping
- Farm/Station Shearing, mustering, cave exploring, artesian baths.
- Fishing Warrego and Paroo Rivers.
- Flora and Fauna
- Golf Cunnamulla and Yowah.
- Historic/Heritage Heritage Trails, Cemetery Tour, Museum Tour.
- National Park Currawinya National Park.
- Pub Stay Eulo Queen Hotel.
- Underground Opal mine tour.
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
- Outback Queensland Tourism
Nearest Airport: Cunnamulla