Guurrbi Tours offers a rare opportunity to accompany a Nugal-warra Elder on his traditional lands and to see this ancient, untouched country through his eyes. You will be taken to rock art sites of great significance to the Nugal-warra people, where he will share with you the stories, myths and legends behind the art. The sites, set in a dramatic landscape, include the Reconciliation Cave which portrays a heart-warming story of acceptance and compassion, and an ancestral Birth Cave, a place of particular importance for the Nugal-warra people.
On the trail you will learn how the Nugal-warra survived in the bush using bush tucker and bush medicines and how the land’s resources were used to make hunting tools and household implements. You will see examples of both ancient and contemporary bush crafts, including an ancient stone axe head, boomerang and spears and will have the opportunity to sample bush foods in season.
The tours give a fascinating account of both traditional and contemporary Aboriginal society, and provide a very personal insight into an Aboriginal culture and spirituality that remains relevant today.
Please note that all self-drive tours described are also available with transport included from your Cooktown accommodation. Two-hour, and half-day tours are available daily, together with private charters and exclusive tailor-made tours by arrangement. All tours have the option of self-drive or full transport provided (including hotel pick-up.) All tours should be booked at least one day in advance.
Activites and Experiences at Guurrbi Tours
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
- Bush Tucker
- Car park
- Checkin Desk Check-in is with Tour Guide.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Guests will learn the stories behind the rock art, giving them some understanding of Aboriginal art, culture, society and spirituality.
- Cultural Visitors will hear about both traditional Aboriginal life and contemporary Aboriginal society.
- Eco Tourism
- Nature based
- RTN, QH and National Distributors (TQ)
- Empty Nesters
- Tourism Tropical North Qld
- Cheques By Arrangement
- Electronic Funds Transfer at Point of Sale
- Money Order
- Australian Travellers Cheque
- Pickup Pick-up is available on the full transport provision option of these tours.
Accommodation In Cooktown
Discover some of the accommodation nearby in Cooktown.
More Tours In Cooktown
Experience some of the other tour ideas around Cooktown.